Last updated on September 21st, 2023 by Jules Winnfield
Enjoying a gorgeous cup of coffee in the comfort of your home can feel truly blissful. It is probably one of the most luxurious experiences that you can ever have.
This is especially true on a chilly day or after you have come home from a stressful day at work. Sadly, this peace can quickly become a disaster if you accidentally spill any of your coffee.
As delicious as coffee can be, it can be really annoying if it manages to get on your carpet. The stain will be pretty noticeable if your carpet is light colored.
Not only did you lose a perfectly good cup of coffee, but your carpet may seem ruined, permanently stained with a splotch of coffee!
Thankfully, there are solutions. In this article we’ll show you how to get coffee stains out of your carpet fast and effectively. To remove your coffee stain, follow these easy-to-follow instructions.
What You Need
To get rid of a stain, you will need a few items. You should be able to obtain them without hassle. In fact, you may already have some of these items at home. For our method, you will need the following:
- A dry cloth or towel – you will need a clean cloth or towel to absorb the coffee, apply the cleaning mixture, and dry the patch of carpet. You may also want to utilize a paper towel for this.
- A lemon – A fresh lemon should be used to make this cleaning solution. You will need to juice the lemon since the juice will be used to make the solution.
- There are other solutions that you can use which will require different ingredients. We have featured different solutions below.
- You can purchase lemons in most grocery stores and supermarkets since they are common fruits. You can also buy lemon juice.
- A lemon juicer – To extract the lemon juice, you may need to invest in a juicer. You can find these in cooking stores and online. If you are looking for a quality product, we recommend getting this affordable juicer.
- Some water – This will be used to make the cleaning mixture. The water should be lukewarm in order to be most effective.
- A mixing bowl – You can use most dishes for this job. The bowl will be used to combine the water with the lemon juice. If you are in need of a set of mixing bowls, here is our recommendation.
- A spoon – To ensure that the ingredients for the solution have been thoroughly mixed.
How to Get Coffee Stains Out in 7 Steps
This easy-to-follow procedure will ensure that the coffee stain is nothing but a distant memory when you are done:
- For fresh coffee stains, dab the stained areawith a dry cloth.
- This will absorb some of the coffee, thus preventing the stain from worsening. Be sure not to rub the stain when it is still damp, as this could spread the coffee further.
- Instead, carefully dab at it with a dry cloth or clean towel. Paper towels will be particularly useful for absorbing liquid.
- Make a cleaning solution.
- The best recipe for this solution is to add lemon juice to a bowl of water. Ideally, the water should be at a tepid temperature. Ensure that the two liquids are completely mixed.
- There are other solutions that you can try, such as a white vinegar solution. Use whichever option is easiest for you. For example, if you already have the ingredients at home for one solution, go with that.
- Test out the cleaning solution on an unremarkable patch of the carpet.
- Performing a test scrub will ensure that you do not damage your carpet when you apply the solution throughout. Since this could result in your carpet being faded, it is a good idea to do this in a spot that is hard to notice.
- Wait for about 30 min, to see if the solution has faded the inconspicuous part of the carpet.
- If the color has faded, try a different cleaning solution. Be sure to also test this before using it.
- If the test did not have a negative impact on the carpet, you are free to apply this solution to the stained portion of your carpet.
- To do this, use a dry towel or cloth to absorb the mixture.
- Carefully rub the cloth on the coffee stain, being sure to cover the entirety of it.
- If the cloth becomes dirty with coffee, you should use a different part of the cloth or a completely different towel.
- Once you have noticed a difference in the stain, remove the solution.
- Remove the solution with water. You can either use a damp cloth to do this or you can pour the water onto the stain. You could also use a spray bottle.
- If the stain becomes too damp, you should use an absorbent towel to get rid of the extra moisture.
- After this, simply wait for the carpet to dry.
- This can take some time. If you want, you can leave a towel over the damp patch. Not only will this soak up the moisture, but it will signal that the area is damp. This way, people will not walk on it.
- Enjoy your stainless carpet!
There are several different cleaning solutions that you can try out. A lemon-based mixture was our first choice because lemons are easy to access and are inexpensive.
Also, the citric acid contained in lemons is excellent at shifting stains. Because of this, they are a natural cleaner. Moreover, unlike some other cleaners which have a more harsh smell, lemons will give you a fresh and appealing scent.
However, if you are interested in trying out some other cleaning solutions, here is one of our recommendations.
Speaking of lemons, aside from cleaning, you may also try having coffee with it. You may try looking for Espresso Romano.
With White Vinegar
Mix a tablespoon of liquid dish soap with a tablespoon of white vinegar. Add these substances to two cups of warm water. Make sure that they have been completely mixed before applying to your carpet.
If you clean your house thoroughly, you may already have these items in your cabinets. The reason why white vinegar is used in cleaning is that it contains acetic acid, which will dissolve dirt and kill bacteria.
With Baking Soda
You can also utilize a solution made from baking soda. Baking soda is commonly used in baking, primarily to make bread. However, it can also be used in cleaning. It will dissolve dirt and grime but is not harsh enough to damage most surfaces.
To do this, simply spread a small amount of baking soda on the stain. Leave the baking soda on the stain for a few hours. Ideally, you should wait until the next day, though this is not always possible. Essentially, the longer you can wait, the better. Next, vacuum up the baking soda. This should be enough to get rid of the stain.
On the other hand, you can try a slightly different method if the persistent stain remains. You can try washing the stain with dish soap and water before adding the baking soda. This will help to get rid of some of the grime.
After applying the dish soap, wait until the stain dries fully. Be sure to remove any excess moisture. Then sprinkle baking soda across the area.
Leave this to sit for a while before eventually vacuuming it up. Ideally, no water should interact with the baking soda. However, if it does, it should be cold water.
With A Carpet Stain Remover
For a tough stain, you can use a carpet stain remover. These products will help to clean coffee stains. If you are looking for a strong product, you can try popular stain remover products like this one.
When using one of these products, you should follow the instructions included in the packaging. Instructions will vary depending on the brand.
Things to Keep in Mind
When it comes to how easy or difficult it will be to rid yourself of coffee stains, you will need to consider the following:
- An old coffee stain may be harder to budge than a fresh coffee stain. Dried coffee will also be difficult to remove. Because of this, you should act quickly.
- Stains will be more noticeable on a light carpet than on a darker one.
- Some of these solutions can also be used to remove some other liquids, such as red wine.
- It’s usually not a good idea to use bleach to remove a coffee stain from your carpet. While this will successfully get the stain out of the carpet, it will also damage your carpet. As a result, the color will noticeably fade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hopefully, this guide helped you to remove the coffee stain from your carpet. With any luck, you will now have a clean and beautiful carpet for you to enjoy. Here are some common questions below.
How do you remove coffee stains from your clothes?
The best way to remove a coffee stain from an item of clothing is to pretreat it. This will mean cleaning it before putting it into the washing machine.
If it is a fresh stain, you should first run it under a cold water tap. You should then apply detergent or liquid dish soap to the stain. If you want, you can use a bleach detergent to remove the stain.
Are coffee stains permanent?
If left ignored, coffee stains will become permanent. However, if you actively clean them, they shouldn’t permanently ruin your carpet or clothes. If you use the steps above, you should be able to remove any coffee stains from your carpet.
Why does coffee stain?
Coffee tends to be very dark in color because it contains a natural dye called tannin. Because of this, coffee is known to stain teeth, clothes, and fabrics.
Though coffee is a delectable drink, the stains that it can cause are a pain. Fortunately, you can easily get rid of these stains by following our instructions. You can even try out different cleaning solutions to see which one works best for you.
For more coffee tips and tricks, check out these reads:
- How to make coffee without a coffee maker
- How many coffee scoops per cup of coffee
- How to use an espresso machine
Coffee Has Never Read This Good!
Sign up for a FREE newsletter to the best home brewing tips and guides
Thank you for subscribing to The Cup Coffee House Crew! There's a surprise in your Inbox 🙂
Something went wrong.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
“Jules” is a pharmacist by day and investor, writer, and health nut by night. When he’s not sipping on some coffee laced with MCT oil during an 18 hour fast, he is writing about how to get your coffee grind on or playing Monopoly with his 2 boys and wife. Ahh…life is good!