Are you a “just give me my coffee” kind of person? No frills or thrills.
You just want it hot and fresh when you want it?
Then you may consider a 12 cup brewer from a reliable and proven brand like Mr. Coffee.
Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker
Performance - 8/10
Ease of Use/Maintenance - 9/10
Build & Quality - 7.8/10
Design & Features - 7.3/10
User Satisfaction - 9/10
The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker is your standard dependable coffee machine that stands the test of time as a classic coffee maker that makes a crisp pot of hot black coffee every time. There are no bells and whistles. No fancy brew strength options.
If simple is what you are looking for, then you will love how easy the machine is to use, clean, its affordability, and how surprisingly long it will be sitting on your kitchen counter before it is time to think of finding a replacement.
An example is the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker: A dependable and timeless coffee machine that is for the diehard coffee drinker who enjoys a simple yet crisp and savory cup of coffee each and every time, each and every day.
But is it right for you?
In this quick straight to the gist Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker review, we answer the question and give our overall rating to help you decide.
Last update on 2023-05-28
Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker Review and Rating
To determine the rating of the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker and to help compare it with similar coffee machines on the market, we took a look at several key categories that coffee drinkers like yourself should be concerned with when deciding on which machine is right for you.
Build/Quality – 7.8/10
What is it made of?
- Made fully of lightweight plastic.
How durable is it?
- The lightweight plastic can be susceptible to damage. Also, the hinge for the lid is cheap and can cause the lid to fall completely off if not handled carefully.
- That being said, many users get several years of reliable use from the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker.
Performance – 8/10
What brew modes does it have?
- None. Simply brew a pot when desired.
- None. The strength is determined by your coffee grounds to water ratio.
- None. Only one brewing temperature. However, many users deem it rather hot.
How many cups does it make?
- The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker can make as little as one cup of coffee and up to 12 cups depending on how much water you put in the water reservoir.
How quiet is it?
- Aside from the typical brewing sounds you get from a normal coffee machine, the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker is fairly quiet.
How is the taste and flavor?
- The taste and flavor of the coffee brewed through this machine is pretty standard. The water gets to a nice hot temperature and many users said the plastic construction of the machine does not leave behind any impurities in the coffee that would affect the taste.
Ease of use/Maintenance – 9/10
How big is it?
- Measures 12.3 in. wide x 11.76 in. deep x 13.8 in tall. So can fit pretty easily on any counter top space or under cabinets.
How heavy? Portable?
- Because the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker weighs 3.7 lbs, it’s fairly light and can easily be transported if needed.
LCD display or push buttons or both?
- None. Simply one on/off switch.
How easy is it to use?
- The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker is properly one of the easiest coffee machines to use on the market.
- Fill your water tank, measure out your coffee grounds, and hit brew. Done.
- But should be descaled thoroughly with a 50-50 water to white vinegar mixture when it arrives new and once a month thereafter.
How easy is it to clean?
- Extremely easy to clean with little to no hard-to-clean spaces. Clean your grounds basket and drip tray and you’re done.
- For descaling, the simplest and most effective way is to fill the water reservoir with a 50-50 mixture of water and white vinegar and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Next, simply allow a brew cycle to take place with no coffee grounds and use the 50-50 water to white vinegar mix.
- Once the cycle has completed, dump out the water and let the machine completely dry before using.
Design & Features – 7.3/10
Does it use pods or ground coffee or both?
- Most people use paper coffee filters, while some elect to purchase the permanent filter basket accessory to save on waste.
- No built-in grinder.
Permanent coffee filter included?
- No. However, for less than $8.00 you can purchase a GOLDTONE Reusable 8-12 Cup Basket Coffee Filter that is designed specifically to fit Mr. Coffee coffee machines.
- No. So no fresh coffee to wake you in the morning with this machine.
- Yes. When the carafe is removed from the hotplate, the machine will stop brewing until the carafe is properly put back into place.
Auto shut off, energy saving mode?
- No. The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker has only one on/off switch that is to be used to manually turn off the hotplate once it is no longer needed.
Removable water reservoir? How big?
- No. The water reservoir is not removable.
- It can hold up to 60 fluid ounces or 1.77 liters of water.
Comes with a carafe?
- Yes. Comes with one standard 12-cup glass carafe that is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
Can it dispense hot water?
- No. There is no hot water spigot.
Come in different colors?
- Yes. The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker comes in both a black and a white model.
- Extremely affordable at $34.99.
User Satisfaction – 9/10
- 1-year limited warranty.
Specific customer feedback
Overall, with almost 38,000 reviews on Amazon, most customers gave the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker a 5-star rating. Most people love the fact that the machine is dependable, easy to use, and brews a crisp pot of coffee every time. It is consistent and the machine is so simple that not too many things can go wrong with it.
The main complaints involve its cheap plastic construction and how some users were unable to get the plastic taste to go away. However, that is the exception, not the norm.
Pros and Cons
The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker has many advantages and disadvantages that coffee drinkers may want to consider before making their final purchasing decision.
- Things we like
- Incredibly easy to use
- Easy to clean with little to no maintenance
- Coffee comes out tasting pretty hot and delicious for the most part
- Will brew a single cup which saves you resources and time
- Reliable and long-lasting
- Extremely affordable
- The manufacturer has good customer service
- The price is incredibly cheap
- Things we don’t like
- Cheap plastic material can be prone to damage if not handled with care
- No programmable features like time-set-brew
- Lacks basic features like auto shut off or strength brew
- No convenient pod option
How Does it Compare?
We decided to compare the Mr. Coffee 12 cup to a similar coffee machine on the market. When comparing the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker with the BLACK+DECKER 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker we noticed many similarities and differences that set these two machines apart. Heres is the quick break down.
Mr. Coffee 12 Cup vs. BLACK+DECKER 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- Both machines can brew up to 12 cups of coffee and come with the option to brew as little as 1 to 4 cups.
- Both machines are mainly constructed of easy-to-clean plastic and come with a dishwasher-safe glass carafe.
- Both machines are lightweight and compact and can fit easily on your kitchen counter and under your cabinets.
- Both machines are more or less the same price.
- The BLACK+DECKER comes with many programmable features like time-set-brew that the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup does not.
- The BLACK+DECKER has an Auto Clean System whereas the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker does not.
- The BLACK+DECKER 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker has a brew strength option between bold and regular whereas the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker does not.
- Which is better?
- We think it that the BLACK+DECKER 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is better overall because, for the same price and similar taste and performance, you can get a good amount of special features that the Mr. Coffee machine lacks.
- For the same price, you get a programmable timer, an auto clean system, and two brew options, regular and bold.
When you think of the office coffee maker or maybe your dad’s coffee machine at home, you think of the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker. There are no bells and whistles. No fancy brew strength options. It is your standard dependable coffee machine that stands the test of time as a classic coffee maker that makes a crisp pot of hot black coffee every time.
There is nothing wrong with that. For the price, if this is what you are looking for, then you will love how easy the machine is to use, how easy it is to clean, and how surprisingly long the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker will be sitting on your kitchen counter before it is time to think of finding a replacement.
However, if you prefer having the ability to set a timer to brew a pot of coffee before you wake up in the morning, or you are looking for more options that can create a different coffee taste or flavor, then you may want to consider other options.
Last update on 2023-05-28
For more of our favorite drip coffee machines, check out these great options:
Coffee Has Never Read This Good!
Sign up for a FREE newsletter to the best home brewing tips and guides
Thank you for subscribing to The Cup Coffee House Crew! There's a surprise in your Inbox 🙂
Something went wrong.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Garret is a content writer who has written thousands of articles on hundreds of subjects, all with the help of his favorite Peruvian blends of coffee grown near his home, a few hours from Machu Picchu. When he’s not sipping his cup of joe or writing content, he enjoys hiking in the mountains, camping with friends, and enjoying a cold beer around a fire beneath a star-lit night.