Maybe you’re like me and you’ve set life goals to visit Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts less often. Not only will it save you money especially in the inflationary period were in but it also lets you live a simpler lifestyle.
DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe EC685
Build & Quality - 8/10
Performance - 8.8/10
Ease of Use/Maintenance - 9/10
Design & Features - 8/10
User Satisfaction - 8.2/10
We love that the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe semi-automatic comes with all the essentials like a 15 bar pump, multiple filter holders, temp control, automatic flow stop and frothing wand.
It’s the perfect machine for minimalists who want to keep their espresso making simple but still enjoy hot, tasty and delicious beverages.
Not only is it easy to use even for novices and cleanup is a breeze, but it takes up so little space with its sleek slim design, you may forget its sitting in the corner of your kitchen.
There are few setbacks like the small water tank and challenging porta filter maneuvering.
But overall, if you’re a beginner espresso barista, and looking to step into espresso making with minimum cost but solid performance, the DeLonghi Dedica is a fine add to your coffee bar.
But who said anything about giving up your favorite coffee or espresso?! If you’re looking for a machine to keep at home that meets your minimalist goals, you have to check out the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe. It’s a simple, low maintenance but efficient espresso machine.
But is it right for you?
In this quick straight to the gist DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe EC685 review, we answer the question and give our overall rating to help you decide.
Last update on 2023-05-25
- Build/Quality 8.0/10
- Performance 8.8/10
- Ease of Use/Maintenance 9.0/10
- Design/Features 8.0/10
- User Satisfaction 8.2/10
DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe Review and Rating
|What is it made of?||Stainless steel body. Some plastic parts though.Nice minimalist but confidently sophisticated appeal on your countertop.|
|How durable is it?||Some issues with function early on and longevity. But for the most part, if you put in the proper care and maintenance, it can last for years.|
|What brew modes does it have?||Espresso|
|Strength control?||Not automatic; |
you will have to control strength manually by adjusting grind, dose, and extraction time.
|Temperature control?||Yes, you can adjust the infusion temperature to low, medium or high|
|How fast does it brew one cup or batch? Heat up time?||Heats up fast, about 40 seconds.Can brew a shot in less than a few minutes.|
|How many cups does it make?||Pressurize double wall filter takes 12g of coffee at a time. |
You can then make:
Single shot espresso: 15-90 ml (0.5-3 oz.)
Double shot espresso: 30-180 ml (1-6.1 oz.)
|Steam wand for frothing?||Yes, the MyLatteArt;|
adjustable steam wand for steaming milk or whipping up thick milk foam for lattes and cappuccinos.
|How quiet is it?||Makes about the same amount of noise you would expect from any other espresso machine|
|How is the taste and flavor?||Regardless if you are a beginner espresso drinker or seasoned pro, everyone agrees the rich nutty nuanced flavors and aroma with thick crema on top from the Dedica Deluxe is consistent, delicious, and worth every penny.|
Ease of Use/Maintenance 9.0/10
|How big is it?||At 5.9 in. wide, 12 in. long, and 13 in. high, the Dedica Deluxe is slim enough to go anywhere you want it.|
|How heavy? Portable?||At 9.3 lbs., this machine is fairly light.|
|LCD display or push buttons or both?||3 simple light up push buttons|
|How easy is it to use?||Very simple and easy to use.|
Just grind your beans, tamp, insert porta filter, pull your shot, steam and foam your milk and that’s it!
Toughest part is dialing in the right dose, tamping pressure, and water temp to get the right flavor profile you want.
Also includes an automatic flow stop which means you don’t have to time how long to pull your shot.
|Maintenance reminders?||Yes, including:|
Drip tray full
|How easy is it to clean?||Pretty simple and easy to clean and maintain.|
Just clean out your portafilter basket, rinse the coffee filters, empty the drip tray, wipe down the steam wand and use steam for deeper clean.
Unfortunately, none of the parts are dishwasher safe.
Descale regularly or when indicator light comes on.
|Does it use pods or ground coffee or both?||Uses ground coffee (ideally freshly ground), and ESE pods.|
|Heating mechanism||Thermoblock heating|
|Built in grinder?||No|
|Auto shut off, energy saving mode?||Yes, set anywhere between 9 minutes and 3 hours.|
|Any other notable tech features?||Automatic flow stop – get well timed shots at the volume you want on autopilotCup warmer|
|Removable water reservoir? How big?||Yes, 35 oz.|
|Come with accessories?||Yes, you get a portafilter, 2 filter baskets, tamp, scooping tool, water hardness test, descaler solution|
|Can it dispense hot water?||Yes, from the steam wand.|
|Drip tray removable to accommodate larger mugs?||Yes, accommodates espresso mugs up to 4.7 in tall.|
|Any other unique features?||Nope|
|Come in different colors?||Yes, metallic silver, red, black, and white|
|Pricing||Retails at 379.95, but you can find it for $100 cheaper if you look around|
User Satisfaction 8.2/10
|Warranty?||3 year if you buy straight from DeLonghi|
|Specific customer feedback, good AND bad||The DeLongi Dedica Deluxe stands out to most because of its compact size, sleek look, easy to make espresso shots, and simple cleaning and maintenance.|
Only complaints were a few mentioned programming the device is not very intuitive and the portafilter can be challenging to get on and off.
Pros and Cons
No surprise DeLonghi makes high quality machines. Pretty basic news at this point.
But how does the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe stand out from the rest of the lineup?
Things I like
- Setup is simple and practically straight out of the box ready to go
- Slim compact low foot print build; perfect for when you have minimum counter space
- Just the essentials boiled down to their simplest most effective terms
- Powerful heating, consistent pressure, adjustable temperature, rich extractions, solid milk foam texture
- Simple fast cleanup
- Easy to use automatic frothing
- So you can get nice cappuccinos or lattes without having a separate milk frother
- Automatic flow stop
- Typically, with semi-automatic machines, you manually have to time the shot. Fully automatic espresso machines generally have the feature of automatic shot pulls.
- So the Dedica Deluxe has the benefit of an automatic machine, just without the larger size and other features like a built-in grinder.
Things I don’t like
- Portafilter can challenging to get on and off.
- Requires a lot of skill and practice to get thicker crema from your shot
- Water tank is small, which means more refilling.
- Must wait for some time after using the steam wand to allow the boiler to cool before brewing espresso again
How does it compare?
DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe vs L’OR Barista Coffee and Espresso System
To get an idea of what kind of deal the Dedica Deluxe is, we decided to compare it to a similar caliber espresso machine, such as the L’OR coffee and espresso machine.
In terms of similarities, both machines:
- Use at least 15 bars of pressure to produce robust full bodied delicious espressos with smooth crema
- Are compact, small footprint espressos machines that take minimum counter space
- Are super easy to use and maintain
But the differences:
- The L’OR utilizes capsules only vs the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe can use grounds or ESE pods;
- Plus, you do need special capsules for the L’OR system, or you can also use Nespresso pods
- The L’OR is designed to brew both coffee (up to 12 oz. at a time) and espresso, but the Dedica produces only espresso brews
- The L’OR has no steam wand compared to the Dedica
- But does have a bigger water tank 40 oz (about 1.18 L)., vs 35 oz (about 1.04 L). on the Dedica Deluxe
- The L’OR is priced less than the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, but you do have to consider the extra cost of capsules
- If you prefer the French way of making espresso, and you value the convenience of pod espresso or coffee brewing, and ok with getting a separate frother, you may really like the L’OR coffee and espresso machine.
- But if a semi-automatic that lets you tinker with your own coffee blend, grind size and temp settings, with an automatic milk frother built in is more your style, then investing in the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe is the best choice.
The DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe is the perfect machine for minimalists who want to keep their espresso making simple but still enjoy rich extravagant flavors. The espressos it makes are hot, tasty and delicious.
We love that it is a semi-automatic with all the essentials like a 15-bar pump, multiple filter holders, temp control, automatic flow stop and frothing wand. It’s easy to use even for novices and cleanup is a breeze.
And the best part is it takes up so little space with its sleek slim design, you may forget its sitting in the corner of your kitchen.
There are few setbacks to consider like the small water tank and challenging porta filter maneuvering.
Overall, if you’re a beginner espresso barista, and looking to step into espresso making with minimum cost but solid performance, the DeLonghi Dedica is a fine add to your coffee bar.
Last update on 2023-05-25
For more basic, but quality machines, check out other favorite options in the Dedica or ECP series:
For a more next level semi-automatic feel that gives you involvement in the brewing process, but also automates grinding and tamping, consider the La Specialista series.
If fully automatics that provide a hands-off bean to cup experience and give you the delicious coffee house aroma and taste you can’t live without at an affordable price is your thing, then you may consider the Dinamica and Magnifica series:
- DeLonghi Dinamica
- DeLonghi Dinamica Plus
- DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300
- DeLonghi Magnifica Evo ECAM29084
- DeLonghi Magnifica XS
- DeLonghi Magnifica S Smart
For next level super automatic espresso machines, look no further than the Eletta series.
Is DeLonghi EC685 worth it?
If you are an experienced barista, you may find the DeLonghi Dedica EC685 worth its price given its temperature adjustments, and simple manual operation. If you’re a beginner and ok with the manual work to get the perfect extraction and you drink espressos regularly then the value you get should be worth the investment.
What are the common problems with DeLonghi Dedica?
Some of the most common problems we discovered about the DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe are its hard to maneuver porta filter, inconsistent crema output, and few durability issues.
What is the difference between Dedica Arte and Deluxe?
Both machines are high quality and make great tasting espresso shots. The main difference is the steam wand. The Arte comes with a more professional MyLatteArt steam wand. Great for those who want to hone in their latte art skills. The Deluxe uses a more automatic Panarello steam wand to produce thick milk foam more easily. Ideal for beginners who just want a delicious milk-based beverage.
Coffee Has Never Read This Good!
Sign up for a FREE newsletter to the best home brewing tips and guides
Thank you for subscribing to The Cup Coffee House Crew! There's a surprise in your Inbox 🙂
Something went wrong.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
“Jules” is a pharmacist by day and investor, writer, and health nut by night. When he’s not sipping on some coffee laced with MCT oil during an 18 hour fast, he is writing about how to get your coffee grind on or playing Monopoly with his 2 boys and wife. Ahh…life is good!