Last updated on March 14th, 2023 by Jules Winnfield
If you’re looking to save yourself money from going to the coffee shop or Starbucks, and you enjoy a variety of specialty beverages, but want something simple and easy that is very good at what it does, the Delonghi Magnifica Evo with LatteCrema System coffee and espresso machine looks like a nice value option to consider.
DeLonghi Magnifica Evo ECAM29084
Performance - 9.4/10
Ease of Use/Maintenance - 9.2/10
Build & Quality - 8.7/10
Design & Features - 8.8/10
User Satisfaction - 9/10
The Delonghi Magnifica Evo is pretty sweet deal. This fully automatic espresso machine is sleek, high quality, easy to use, and easy to maintain for any coffee lover.
You get a decent number of recipes including coffee, plus automation in grinding, tamping, pulling, and milk frothing, plus customization in temperature, strength, and saved profiles all for a very reasonable price point.
And while it may be a bit complex to learn, and the price point is pretty steep, if you factor in the cost savings of not going to the coffee shop, the value more than pays for itself.
But just because Oprah loves it soo much, does it mean it’s the right machine for you? Can it truly bring the barista home to you with no effort on your part?
In this quick straight to the gist DeLonghi Magnifica Evo ECAM29084 review, we answer the question and give our overall rating to help you decide.
Last update on 2023-05-24
DeLonghi Magnifica Evo Review and Rating
|What is it made of? Plastic, Stainless steel?||Made of plastic. But has a sleek, stainless steel look that makes you look legit when family and friends come by!|
|How durable is it?||This machine is relatively new so no long-term data yet. But it seems to be holding its own and lasting well to date. |
And generally, DeLonghi machines are well made and will last you a good number of years.
|What brew modes does it have?||7 pre-programed recipes: Espresso, Coffee, Iced Coffee, Cappuccino, My Latte, Latte Macchiato, Hot Water|
|Strength control?||Yes, 3 settings: low, medium, high|
|Temperature control?||Yes, 3 settings: low, medium, high|
|How fast does it brew one cup or batch? Heat up time?||20-30 seconds to heat up. Brew time is fast but not super-fast; Double shot latte will take about 3 min|
|How many cups does it make?||Can vary from small ristretto size to full cup. Max volume: 8.45 oz (250 ml) It also makes twin shots for faster brewing if you have company.|
|Steam wand for frothing?||No steam wand. Instead comes with the LatteCrema system, which is basically a milk jug that steams and froths milk automatically for you and then delivers into your espresso.|
|How quiet is it?||Pretty quiet, even with coffee grinder on!|
|How is the taste and flavor?||Honestly the flavors, cream, froth, and richness is so good, you barely can tell the difference between what the Magnifica Evo whips up and your $7 latte, espresso, or cappuccino from the coffee shop.|
Ease of use/ Maintenance (9.2/10)
|How big is it?||At 9.4 in wide, 17.3 in long, and 14.1 in. high, the Magnifica Evo is compact for a fully automatic machine but may still be a tight fit under cabinets.|
|How heavy? Portable?||At 21 lb., it’s not the lightest. Definitely won’t be easy to move around on your counter top if you need to.|
|LCD display or push buttons or both?||Soft touch buttons|
|How easy is it to use?||The setup is simple but can be complex too. You may have to use the manual to brew your first drinks but it’s simple to read. Just add water, add coffee beans, press a button for the recipe you want and bam! Quick hot espressos in your cup.|
|Maintenance reminders?||Yes, for filling water, emptying used coffee grounds bin|
|How easy is it to clean?||Pretty easy to clean. Just dump out the used pucks from the coffee grounds bin and pull out the parts to either wash by hand or throw into dishwasher. |
Milk jug system is also easy to clean out or store too. Also comes with a self-cleaning feature;
Be sure to keep a cup underneath spout as machine will self-clean before each use.
|Does it use pods or ground coffee or both?||Uses fresh coffee beans. But will also take pre-ground coffee too.|
|Built in grinder?||Yes, conical burr with 13 settings. |
Plus a bean hopper capacity of 25 oz. But also takes pre ground coffee too if you’re in the mood
|Auto shut off, energy saving mode?||Yes, will shut off after 15 minutes. Can be set to as long as 3 hours.|
|Any other notable tech features?||No|
|Removable water reservoir? How big?||Removable 60 oz tank from the side which makes filling convenient.|
|Come with carafe? Thermal or glass? Size?||No, also doesn’t come with a milk pitcher either|
|Can it dispense hot water?||Yep, the hot water recipe is perfect for making oatmeal, tea, and my favorite keto hot chocolate!|
|Drip tray removable to accommodate larger mugs?||Yes, Also coffee spouts height are adjustable for even more flexibility!|
|Any other unique features?||Water hardness setting capable; Great for customizing when you should descale your machine.|
|Come in different colors?||No, just one steel color|
|Pricing||Retails for $900, but you can find some deals on it at various retailers.|
User Satisfaction (9.0/10)
|Warranty?||3 years total if you register your machine|
|Specific customer feedback, good AND bad||In general, people love the taste and fresh flavor and aroma of the coffee from the Magnifica Evo. Most don’t plan on visiting their coffee shop anytime soon anymore. The worst complaint was mentions of the difficult setup.|
Pros and Cons
Like most Delonghi espresso machines, there are certain qualities you can pretty much expect from this trusted brand. A delicious quality espresso with crema is one of them, regardless if you go with the Magnifica, Dinamica, or La Specialista.
So it’s going to be the details that make your decision. So what stands out the most to me regarding the Magnifica Evo, other than Oprah thinks it’s awesome?
Things I Like
- Makes delicious, rich creamy beverages with barely any effort on your part
- Lets you customize your drink from grind profile, volume, strength, temperature, and froth and store the settings for quick access later
- Easy to use milk frothing system
- Makes frothy, smooth milk foam that is pretty darn good for a home machine. Even works for plant based alternatives too.
- In fact, the whole espresso pulling process is easier since you can leave your milk in the jug which never contacts the machine, and you can put it in the fridge when you’re done.
- Almost all new DeLonghi machines come with this system. Lots of other brands like Nespresso are on it too since its so convenient and easy to use.
- Combo espresso and coffee maker, so you save space and machines
- Built in grinder means you can have the freshest coffee any time you want, or use the pre ground coffee feature.
- Bean hopper can take quite a few coffee beans at a time
- Cleanup is simple and easy
Things I Don’t Like
- Even though its simpler than DeLonghi’s other models, the Magnifica Evo can be a lot to take in, especially if it’s your first go at a super automatic machine. But if you take your time to learn, it’s not bad.
- The setup could be a bit complex for some. Online instructional videos are your friend.
- Water reservoir could be a bit bigger to account for the extra water the auto clean uses.
- Price is definitely not cheap. But for what you get, it’s very much a fair ask.
How Does it Compare?
DeLonghi Magnifica Evo vs Philips EP4347
So the Delonghi Magnifica Evo may be a nice looking machine so far, but how does it compare to other quality fully automatic easy to use machines on the market? The closest we could find to compete on the same level was the Philips 4300 Automatic Espresso machines.
I personally know a few friends who own it and really love it…like use it EVERYDAY without fail love it!
In terms of similarities, both machines:
- Make very delicious coffee, espressos, lattes, cappuccinos, and more. And even both dispense hot water!
- Come with an adjustable grinder
- Come with customizable options like temp, strength, and volume and let you save multiple user profiles so you save time brewing your favorites
- Fairly easy to clean and maintain
- Come with a milk jug system (LatteCrema and LatteGo) that steams and froths milk, and lets you store the rest in fridge for easy cleanup and minimum waste
But there are a few differences, albeit minor:
- The Magnifica Evo comes with 7 pre-programmed coffee recipes while the Philips has 8 including the flat white.
- The Philips doesn’t work very well in the pre ground coffee mode
- Both retail at the same price, but there are more deals for the Magnifica Evo.
- Honestly you probably could go with either and be just fine.
- But I would say if you want more value, less coffee waste, and better price then roll with the Magnifica Evo
- For a few more customizable features and recipes, pick up the Philips 4300.
Honestly at this price point, I think the Delonghi Magnifica Evo with LatteCreama is a pretty sweet deal. This fully automatic espresso machine is sleek, high quality, easy to use, and easy to maintain for any coffee lover.
You get a decent number of recipes including coffee, plus automation in grinding, tamping, pulling, and milk frothing, plus customization in temperature, strength, and saved profiles all for a very reasonable price point. It really is good value for your money.
Compared to the Dinamica, I like the Magnifica for its touch of customization and great performance without being overly complicated and overwhelming to use. But the Dinamica offers a few more features and coffee variety.
And while the price point is pretty steep, if you factor in the cost savings of not going to the coffee shop, the machine more than pays for itself over the course of a year depending on how much you drink. If a variety of drink choices and the aroma of fresh coffee from the comfort of your own home is a big deal for you, then the Magnifica Evo is a good pick for you.
Last update on 2023-05-24
For more quality DeLonghi machines to consider, check out our favorites here:
- Full and Super Automatics
- Manual and Semi Automatics
Coffee Has Never Read This Good!
Sign up for a FREE newsletter to the best home brewing tips and guides
Thank you for subscribing to The Cup Coffee House Crew! There's a surprise in your Inbox 🙂
Something went wrong.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
“Jules” is a pharmacist by day and investor, writer, and health nut by night. When he’s not sipping on some coffee laced with MCT oil during an 18 hour fast, he is writing about how to get your coffee grind on or playing Monopoly with his 2 boys and wife. Ahh…life is good!