Last updated on May 28th, 2023 by Jules Winnfield
Who says Italian crafted coffee machines must be super expensive and out of reach?
If you’ve been thinking about adding a new espresso machine to your lineup that has the power to brew legit tasty espressos and milk beverages with the convenience of pods, then the Nespresso Lattissima Touch may be worth considering. But is it right for you?
Nespresso Lattissima Touch
Performance - 9.2/10
Ease of Use/Maintenance - 9.1/10
Build & Quality - 8.7/10
Design & Features - 8.9/10
User Satisfaction - 9.1/10
The Nespresso Lattissima Touch is a great option to get delicious hot espresso with crema fast and simple. The convenient pods come loaded with sustainably sourced coffee grounds packed with flavor. It has a small footprint, easy to use, and a fair price. And while some have complained that the Touch is tough to clean and can be a bit pricey, overall the Touch is good value for anyone looking for a quality entry level espresso machine.
In this quick straight to the gist Nespresso Lattissima Touch review, we answer the question and give our overall rating to help you decide.
Last update on 2023-05-28
- Build/Quality (8.7 out of 10)
- Performance (9.2 out of 10)
- Ease of use/ Maintenance (9.1 out of 10)
- Design/Features (8.9 out of 10)
- User Satisfaction (9.1 out of 10)
What We Like and Don’t Like (Pros and Cons)
Build/Quality (8.7 out of 10)
|What is it made of?||Plastic; Modern design manufactured by De’Longhi, which usually means good quality|
|How durable is it?||Holds up well; Will last you a decent amount of time, provided you keep up with the required maintenance.|
Performance (9.2 out of 10)
|What brew modes does it have?||Comes with 6 options: creamy latte, latte macchiato, cappuccino, espresso, coffee (basically a lungo), and warm milk|
|Steam wand for frothing?||Like all Lattissima’s, it doesn’t have a traditional steam wand; Instead has a milk tank (what Nespresso calls a Rapid Cappuccino system) which steams and froths milk inside and releases it via a spout automatically into your espresso. |
Can adjust the milk froth texture via regulator dial
|How many cups does it make?||Brews a single serving at time: 40 to 150 ml (1.35 to 5.07 oz.); possibly more but may overheat|
|How quiet is it?||Can be a bit loud|
|How is the taste and flavor?||Most say the flavor, creaminess and deliciousness of beverages you can make with the Touch are almost professionally straight from Italy!|
|How fast does it brew one cup or batch? Heat up time?||Heat up is fast: 25 sec for coffee and 15 sec for the milk.|
Ease of use/ Maintenance (9.1 out of 10)
|How big is it?||13.5 in long, 8.1 in wide, and 10.2 in high; good size; will take up a reasonable small space in your kitchen|
|How heavy? Portable?||9.9 lbs. not super heavy but not light weight either|
|LCD display or push buttons or both?||Push buttons|
|How easy is it to use?||Similar to the other machines in Nespresso’s Lattissima line, the one touch is exactly that: Just press one button after you pop in a pod, select your brew, select your milk froth, and watch as espresso comes out hot delicious, creamy, with frothed and steamed milk poured in for you. Pretty easy peasy! |
But read the instructions thoroughly before you get started.
|Maintenance reminders?||Yes, descaling alert|
|How easy is it to clean?||Cleaning the Lattissima Touch is pretty simple; take down all the parts which are dishwasher safe. |
But the milk frothing tank can be a little difficult with all the various parts; Simply take it apart, and wash with hot water after each use or put in dishwasher. There’s also an auto milk rinsing feature that’s helpful.
Design/Features (8.9 out of 10)
|Does it use pods or ground coffee or both?||Original line pods only|
|Permanent coffee filter included?||n/a|
|Programmable?||The espresso, coffee, lungo and milk recipes can be set to brew varying amounts of espresso volumes. |
But there is no auto brew option.
|Auto shut off, energy saving mode?||Yes, will shut off after 9 minutes; can extend to 8 hours|
|Any other notable tech features?||Water hardness settings: 5 levels|
|Removable water reservoir? How big?||Yes, 30.4 oz.|
|Come with carafe? Thermal or glass? Size?||n/a|
|Can it dispense hot water?||No, but you could run the machine without a pod to get hot water|
|Drip tray removable to accommodate larger mugs?||Yes|
|Any other unique features?||Has a used capsule container capacity of 10; |
Pods are recyclable
Removable 11.8 oz. milk jug that froths and steams from the inside
|Come in different colors?||Frosted silver, white, and washed black|
|Pricing||Going for about $440 at time of writing, so not cheap by any means; But it’s definitely good value and a nicer entry option compared to the Lattissima Pro and Gran Lattissima.|
User Satisfaction (9.1 out of 10)
|Warranty?||Yes, one-year warranty;|
Not readily available on Nespresso site anymore. But De’Longhi still makes them, and you can still buy from Amazon and Walmart.
|Specific customer feedback, good and bad||It’s pretty clear that everyone loves the coffee house quality drinks you can make with the Nespresso Lattissima Touch; Nobody is missing Starbucks for sure. |
But there’s controversy on how easy it is to clean, with some saying it’s easy and others saying it’s not; milk frother requires regular maintenance to work consistently.
Why do you care about the Nespresso Lattissima Touch?
Nespresso machines are well known for their focus on high quality, sustainability and innovation. And the Nespresso Lattissima Touch embodies that same tradition. For me, the biggest reasons to pull the trigger on the Touch are:
- Fast heat up and brew
- Built with thermoblock technology so your machine can go from cold to hot fast
- Means quick delicious brews in your cup as you run out the door
- Streamlined maintenance
- Comes with a water hardness setting. Whatever you set it to will determine how often you get a descaling alert.
- This means you know when to clean out your machine so it stays in optimum shape
- It even comes with a descaling pipe
- But the milk tank can be a hassle to maintain
- Makes you feel like an overnight barista
- Even though all the options can appear overwhelming, it’s actually pretty easy to whip up a latte, cappuccino or whatever.
- Pop in a pod, press a button and you’re good to go! Something like what you might get from Starbucks without all the standing in line to hear your name mispronounced for it!
How does it compare?
Nespresso Lattissima Touch vs Lavazza Expert Classy Plus All in One
- Are titans in the global coffee scene, and well recognized as superior quality Italian brands with focus on innovation and sustainability
- Can brew a multitude of coffee beverages from espresso, lungo, coffee to lattes, macchiatos, and cappuccinos
- Both use their own branded pods and capsules
- The Lavazza uses a glass vessel to steam and froth your milk
- The Lavazza water tank is bigger than the Lattissima Touch, 42 oz
- The Lavazza is slightly bigger and heavier compared to the Lattissima Touch
- The Lavazza is priced at about half the cost of the Touch
- Both are really nice machines and make delicious coffee, so it comes down to the details
- If you want a simpler, but less sophisticated milk frothing system, and don’t mind your machine being a little bigger, heavier but with a bigger water tank, then go with the Lavazza Expert Classy Plus.
- If you like a more refined milk froth capability that stands separately from the coffee brewing and you’re used to the Nespresso pod system, then the extra cost of the Lattissima Touch may be the better value for you.
If you don’t have the time or desire to deal with coffee beans, the Nespresso Lattissima Touch is a great option to get delicious hot espresso with crema fast and simple. The convenient pods come loaded with sustainably sourced coffee grounds packed with flavor.
Add on the small footprint on your kitchen counter, ease of use, and fair price and the Touch is good value for anyone looking for a quality espresso machine.
On the other hand, some have complained that the Touch is tough to clean and can be a bit pricey. But honestly if you ask me, the Touch looks pretty easy to use and the cleaning isn’t all that bad once you figure out the process.
Plus, if you consider the cost of buying coffee from Starbucks DAILY at $5-7, the cost of the machine plus the capsules easily has a better return on investment in the long run.
The question really comes down to which Lattissima is the better fit. You can take a look at our comparison chart under the Nespresso Gran Lattissima review to learn more.
Overall, the Lattissima Touch is a decent easy to use entry level espresso machine with just enough features to satisfy the average espresso drinker.
You should buy if:
- You want a pod espresso machine with frother at an entry price level
- You drink milk-based espresso beverages regularly
- You value convenience and simplicity
You should NOT buy if:
- Coffee is your preferred morning beverage vs espresso
- You can’t handle basic milk frother maintenance
- You prefer your own coffee grounds
Last update on 2023-05-28
Nespresso has a whole line of Lattissima machines to choose from. Check out our reviews on each one:
For more Nespresso machines to consider, check out our reviews on a few of my favorites:
- Nespresso Essenza Mini
- Nespresso Evoluo
- Nespresso Pixie
- Nespresso Citiz&Milk
- Nespresso Creatista Plus
Which Lattissima is the best?
Of the 4 main Lattissima’s still available (the One, Touch, Pro, and Gran Lattissima), all come with the same high quality delicious pod espresso flavor you come to expect from Nespresso. The differences lie in a few of their features and of course price. (The Plus isn’t readily manufactured by De’Longhi anymore)
In general, the most common differences are the coffee recipes, milk tank size, water reservoir size, used pod container size, and heat up time. Each of those improves as you move across the spectrum from the One to Gran.
The best machine will depend on the user. For those who want a basic introduction, and simple features, the One and Touch are great. For those who want extended recipes, more size, stronger performance specs, the Pro and Gran are the best value.
Coffee Has Never Read This Good!
Sign up for a FREE newsletter to the best home brewing tips and guides
Thank you for subscribing to The Cup Coffee House Crew! There's a surprise in your Inbox 🙂
Something went wrong.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
“Jules” is a pharmacist by day and investor, writer, and health nut by night. When he’s not sipping on some coffee laced with MCT oil during an 18 hour fast, he is writing about how to get your coffee grind on or playing Monopoly with his 2 boys and wife. Ahh…life is good!