Last updated on April 17th, 2023 by Catherine Cervone
Are you variety kind of coffee drinker? Like me, maybe you want to start your morning with a frothy hot latte, tomorrow morning with a cold brew, and mix it up in the afternoon with some different iced tea beverages.
Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System
Performance - 9.5/10
Ease of Use/ Maintenance - 9.3/10
Build & Quality - 8.4/10
Design & Features - 9/10
User Satisfaction - 8.5/10
With two separate brewing baskets for coffee and tea and five different brew modes, the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System allows users the flexibility to go from hot espressos and tea to cool iced beverages all in one machine. While there are defects that make it a hassle to use, the coffee house rivaling tasty brews, ease of use and maintenance of this brew machine may make it worth the investment for you.
If so, then that could mean spending money on multiple machines for each brew style. Add on the extra counter top space and it can get a bit messy.
Enter the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System, designed to work for the coffee and tea drinker that loves variety.
Want the quick summary? With two separate brewing baskets for coffee and tea and five different brew modes, the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System keeps your mornings anything but boring by allowing users the flexibility to change it up to accommodate their taste. From hot espressos to cool iced beverages, this all in one machine gets it done.
While there are defects that make the machine a hassle to use, the coffee house rivaling tasty brews, ease of use and maintenance of the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System may make it worth the investment for you.
Last update on 2023-09-21
- What's so special about the Ninja Hot and Cold?
- How to use the Ninja Hot and Cold System
- Pros and Cons to Consider
- Improvements We Would Make
- How Does it Compare
- Final Verdict: Is the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System Right for You?
What’s so special about the Ninja Hot and Cold?
The Ninja brand is one of several brands developed by SharkNinja Operating LLC. They currently sell several coffee appliances that are known for their high quality to fit your individualized home brewing needs.
The Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System has a wide variety of features that make it competitive with other all-in-one machines on the market.
1. Choose among 5 different brew modes
The Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System is designed to give you the perfect hot cup of drip coffee, followed by a cappuccino, followed by a glass of cold brew in under 15 minutes. It accomplishes this with 5 different brew styles.
- Classic mode is designed for that original taste
- The Rich mode aims to give you a bolder flavor.
- The Over Ice mode brews hot at double strength, meant for iced coffees and iced teas that don’t taste watered-down.
- The Cold Brew mode, one of the machine’s main selling points, brews the product at a lower temperature slowly in order to get a naturally-sweet cold brew in your cup in under 15 minutes.
- Lastly, the Specialty mode emulates espresso and other concentrated beverages for a coffeehouse luxury feel.
2. Multiple brew sizes for every occasion
Another appealing feature of the system is the ability to make a single cup of coffee all the way up to a full carafe (which is included). There are six different brew sizes to choose from (Cup, XL Cup, Travel Mug, and XL Multi-serve, Half Carafe, and Full Carafe), making it a good option if you need flexibility in your routine.
3. Luxury coffeehouse feel with frothed milk
If you’re looking to be a specialty beverage brewer at home, you’ll love the milk frother. This tucked-away feature pops out when you need it to froth hot or cold milk for that cold foam or cappuccino consistency. And it’s easy to use and clean.
Note that this is not a steam wand, just a frother.
4. Espresso-like shots made easy
While the Ninja Hot and Cold doesn’t brew espresso, it does have the ability to create a concentrated small amount of coffee that emulates the taste. Even better, you can make this espresso-like beverage without the hassle of fresh grinds, specific bars of pressure, or a teapot for the perfect water temperature. Let the machine pull that “shot” for you!
How to use the Ninja Hot and Cold System
This coffee machine has incredible usability. It’s easy to pull out of the box and begin brewing without having to learn a new skill set that comes with specialty coffee. This is a great tool for beginners and experts alike, and certainly helps me save time in the morning by avoiding a complicated routine.
- Fill the water reservoir, which is removable for easy filling. It’s also dishwasher safe for convenience.
- Choose one of the two included baskets for coffee or tea. Insert the respective filter or a paper one of your own.
- Measure out the correct amount of coffee or tea for the machine, handily labeled on the included scoop based on which setting you’ll be using. Store the scoop on the side of the machine in its designated spot for easy access.
- Power up the machine with the power button on the display.
- Use the dials to select the size of the cup you’re brewing and the setting you’d like to brew it on. The Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System smartly detects if you’re using the coffee or tea filter basket and displays the respective settings. Don’t forget to hit start!
- If you’re brewing tea, choose which type of tea you’ll be brewing (herbal, black, oolong, etc) and the machine will steep it for the correct amount of time and at the correct temperature for that kind of tea. This is done without any additional settings.
- If preparing a latte or want some milk in your warm drink, take advantage of the included milk frother! It pops out from the side of the machine and can be used while the appliance is brewing coffee or tea.
- Clean up quickly with easy dishwasher safe materials. Everything comes apart for a quick cleanup, and every part except for the thermal carafe is dishwasher safe. This could be useful for a quick cleanup during a busy morning!
Pros and Cons to Consider
The Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System provides a great user experience in an all-in-one machine. Here are some of the things we like the most about this brewing system:
Things We Like
- Great taste and performance – The Ninja Hot and Cold is a crowd favorite for the taste of coffee and tea it creates.
- Customers say it rivals coffee shop flavors and they’ve stopped frequenting Starbucks as much (or completely!) as they used to.
- Auto IQ technology – such as the auto blooming which steeps coffee for the right amount of time automatically based on the brew type
- SCAA certified temperature brewing – brews at 195-200 F to get that perfect flavor extraction
- Affordability – Though the price tag on the system is an investment for your kitchen at $199, it takes less than 50 mornings of making coffee at home to pay it off at $5 a cup of coffee at your local shop.
- Flexibility in brewing style – including hot drip coffee, strong concentrated espresso like coffee, tea, cold brew, and over ice options.
- Great choice if you like to switch things up and experiment with your morning brew.
- Pure coffee and tea tastes – comes with separate brewing baskets for coffee and tea
- Great for family members who enjoy coffee and tea, entertaining company, or brewing one cup of coffee in the morning and some tea in the afternoon.
- Coffee, stat – You can brew half a carafe of coffee in about five minutes (that’s about 25 oz. of coffee)
- Makes it easy to stay on track while getting out the door to work or school
- Removable water reservoir – for easy refilling
- Fold away frother – for frothing milk and making specialty drinks like cappuccinos and lattes
- 50 oz. Thermal carafe – included; to keep your coffee the right temperature for up to 2 hours
- Programmable delay brew option – for automatically brewing coffee in the morning
- Auto remembers your previous settings – especially nice for switching back and forth from coffee to tea
- Drip pause function – press the button and you can sneak a cup before the brew is complete
- Quick cleanup with dishwasher safe pieces – Every piece but the carafe can go right into the top rack of the dishwasher
- Great reviews – Many reviewers shout their praises of this machine as a great choice for an all-in-one coffee and tea maker. There’s a reason why it’s rated so highly!
Things We Don’t Like
- No pods compatibility – a problem if you need to be in a hurry in the mornings.
- Not under the cabinet friendly – Coming in at 15 in high, 9 1/2 in deep and 10 in wide, 11 pounds, it’s a decent size machine and does take a reasonable amount of space on the counter top.
- But it is tall and does require over the top clearance to work well.
- Water Leaks – Some users complained of water leaking all over the counter when they brew with the machine due to an ill-fitting gasket.
Improvements We Would Make
1. Fix the leaking. The biggest fix needed for this maker is to stop the leaking that many users are experiencing.
2. Add a heated steam wand. Another improvement I would make to the machine is to add a heating steam wand to the side of the machine. While this would increase the price tag, it would be a nice feature that many users would enjoy. Steamed milk is superior to milk warmed in the microwave, and since the machine makes good concentrated coffee, users should be able to get the full experience of a latte with a steam wand rather than a frothing wand.
3. Add an automatic drip stop. Instead of waiting till end of the brew cycle, it would be nice for the Ninja to automatically pause once you remove the carafe.
How Does it Compare
Ninja Hot and Cold vs Bosch Tassimo
- Make espresso based beverages and tea
- Easy to use and maintain
- The Bosch Tassimo is cheaper – Depending on the model, will run you anywhere from $105 to $150 dollars.
- Tassimo has a smaller reservoir
- Tassimo take up less counter space
- Tassimo is easier to operate than the Ninja
- If you want simple, ease of effort, small footprint, go with the Bosch Tassimo
- If you want more choices and better taste, go with the Ninja Hot and Cold.
Ninja Hot and Cold vs Keurig K-Cafe
Both the Ninja Hot and Cold and the Keurig K-Cafe:
- Will brew concentrated “shot” of an espresso-like beverage like a latte or cappuccino
- Priced similarly
- Well known brands
- The K-Cafe does not have a separate basket or settings for tea
- The K-Cafe doesn’t have as many brewing options as the Hot and Cold
- The K-Cafe only brews one pod at a time, while the Ninja can brew up to a full carafe (50 oz).
- If you value the convenience of pods, a quicker brew, and easier cleanup then go with the Keurig K-Cafe.
- If you prefer the freshness of bagged coffee, and the cost effectiveness of saving money over time not purchasing pods, then go with the Ninja Hot and Cold.
For a more detailed look at the Keurig K-Cafe, check out our comparison review between the Nespresso and Keurig.
Final Verdict: Is the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System Right for You?
The Ninja Hot and Cold is for you if:
The Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System could be a great choice for you if you want a coffee maker that is full of options. Choosing this all-in-one machine gives you the flexibility to have a cup of drip coffee, followed immediately by a glass of freshly brewed iced green tea, followed by a hot latte with frothy milk.
If your family likes to enjoy a variety of beverages, this is a smart choice to please everyone without cluttering up your countertop with a host of different appliances.
The Ninja Hot and Cold is NOT for you if:
This is not a smart choice for people who are looking for a pure espresso experience, as the espresso-like concentrated shot the Ninja produces is not actually espresso, only similar. The Ninja machine is also not right for people who enjoy the pod/K-cup experience and easy cleanup that come with machines of that type.
I’d recommend the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System with caution based on some fairly common manufacturing defects customers have experienced. But overall, this is a great machine with high functionality for those looking for a great cup of coffee or specialty brew at home.
Last update on 2023-09-21
For more Ninja coffee makers to consider, check out our reviews on the:
What is the difference between the CP301 and CP307 models?
The only difference between the two models is the CP301 comes with 50 oz glass carafe, while the CP307 comes with a same size thermal carafe. The thermal carafe is great for keeping beverages hot, but isn’t dishwasher safe. The glass carafe is dishwasher safe but not as durable.
What do I make with the Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System?
Maybe you’re accustomed to a black cup of coffee every morning and want to branch out, or just need a little creative help to try some new coffee creations. Ninja has included a recipe guide with 40 recipes to try with their system. It’s available on their website for easy access and includes everything from spiced drip coffee drinks to specialty tea blends.
Coffee Has Never Read This Good!
Sign up for a FREE newsletter to the best home brewing tips and guides
Thank you for subscribing to The Cup Coffee House Crew! There's a surprise in your Inbox 🙂
Something went wrong.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Catherine Cervone is thrilled to be writing about coffee, one of her favorite things! When not sipping an iced americano or writing, she’s busy working as a musical theater performer performing in theaters and theme parks all around the U.S.